It is spring. The time when most homes go on the market and buyers want to buy and get settled before school starts again in the fall. Before rushing to put your house on the market, take a step back and go through this list.
1. Clean Everything. A clean home gives buyers the signal that you took care of your home. Buyers tend to notice every flaw and cleaning will allow them focus on the good in your home and not the dirt and dust.
2. Unclutter Before Showing Your Home. Sell, give away, toss and get rid of stuff. The less things you have, the roomier your home will appear to a buyer.
3. Brighter is better. Open your shades and use brighter bulbs. A bright home feels more inviting and larger.
4. Odors can kill a sale. Be careful of what you cook. Fish can wait until the home is sold. Also be aware of tobacco, pet, and musty laundry smells. Sprinkle some cinnamon on a cookie sheet and place in the oven around 250 degrees.
5. If it is broken, fix it. Buyers will be more likely to give a lower offer if they walk into a home with instant fixes that need to be done. If it can’t be fixed, replace it or get rid of it.
6. Bye-bye puppy. Many people love their pets, but even pet lovers might not love YOUR pet. Sometimes buyers are allergic to pet dander as well so take the pets with you when there are showings and hide away signs they are there.
7. Paint. Stick with neutral colors. Your daughter loved her pink room but what if the buyers only have sons? Nothing improves the value of a home like fresh, neutral paint.